This time Graham and John completed the ‘bricking in’ around the sides of the frame and we managed to completely pump out the system.
The pumps and generator were set up on the Friday evening and we pumped for an hour or so until the bottom pump got itself clogged again. The pump was dismantled and unclogged in the workshop but it was too late to resume pumping operations.
On Saturday as well as bricking in we also finished pumping out, moved 120-130 bags to surface which were stacked in the cross rift and filled another 60-70 bags which were stacked in the cross rift.
Sunday was less successful. The bottom pump refused to lift the remaining sludge to the middle tank in spite of lowering the connecting pipe. While pump maintenance and re-cabling was being done the filled bags from the previous day were bought out to surface. The pump still refused to lift the sludge so we packed up early.
For next time it seems we need a pump for the bottom which can handle the sludge.
|Graham lowers the new dig truck containing pumps and sand bags while Keith supervises|
|The new entrance to the dig complete with giant spider's web which mysteriously appeared when we were underground|
The Saturday Digging Team: Andy, Brendan, Graham, John, Keith, Mark & Mel
The Sunday Digging Team: Brendan, Graham, John, Keith & Mark